Thursday, February 01, 2007

 

Canned Goods


I decided to clean out my pantry this past weekend. As I tossed out, organized, and cleaned out the shelves, I came across my BIRD FLU shelf. Yep, bird flu shelf. Remember how we were supposed to stock our pantry with canned goods so that when the bird flu came through we would have enough food to eat for 5 weeks? You probably don't remember this warning ( I think it came from Oprah), but I followed though on it. I stocked up on canned soups, canned fruits, canned vegetable, pasta, spaghetti sauce, and rice. I am so obedient.

I have no idea where the bird flu is and whether or not it is coming, but I have decided to eat the food. I have a feeling that if I don't eat it now, it will just sit there for another ten years. I probably still have enough food if the bird flu strikes anyway. I didn't do any grocery shopping this week and started using all the frozen meats and canned goods I have stored up. Aside from not eating any fresh food this week, we have done just fine finding enough food for each meal.

Labels:


Comments:
I've seen your pantry. You're stocked for Armageddon! Of course, then you probably won't need the food...

Peanut and I have done our share of relieving you of your food. I'm willing to help anytime.
 
Ever since I was a young Navy wife and learned of this strategy, I have admired it. However, I never seem to implement it. I do applaud your efforts to do so and think we should all try it--it certainly develops creativity, doesn't it?

Dad just mentioned bird flu a few days ago and wondered what happened to it. The scare-mongers were out in force on that one but it just seemed to fizzle.
 
In Utah, our house (and many others) had a huge walk-in pantry/storage room. I guess the Mormons are supposed to store 6 months or a year's worth of food and supplies for the end of the world. I think you're supposed to rotate them, though.

Bird flu is still in the news - and still killing people - just not in America, and not in the huge numbers that were scaring people. I saw a Reuters article about it just today.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?