Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 

Purple Angels

I am a believer. My goal is to get to heaven - whatever that is. Due to recent events in our family, my daughter, Roo, daily asks me about heaven, Jesus, and God. I tend to be real honest with my answers, but keep it on a level that I think she will understand. At times I think she understands more than me, and then at other times she reminds me how innocent she really is. Her constant questions tell me that she is trying to make sense of it all.

The other day while Ason was napping, I let her watch Mulan on the downstairs TV for "quiet time." As I wrote out bills and organized upstairs I heard a scream like no other. Roo was excitedly calling for me to come downstairs. I thought for sure there was a snake in the basement. As I walked down the stairs, Roo was yelling, "MOM, come quick, it's GOD! I see GOD! That's what he looks like!" She is pointing at the screen at a ghost like figure that the characters are calling God. Although I don't know much about that part of the movie, I came to understand that Roo is having trouble making sense of something she can't see. Her goal is to find out what God looks like - and apparently she has found out. I was just glad it wasn't a snake!

Later in the car she asked me, "Mom, do you get to take your clothes to Heaven?" Now, you have to understand Roo - clothes are very important to her. I suppose she sees pictures of angels in white robes and she wonders if her robe can be purple. Anyway, I decide to take this discussion one step further and tell her about her soul. I go on to say that her body will stay here on earth and her soul will go to heaven. Trying to describe your soul to a 3 year old is not an easy task, but I thought I was up to it. Using language I can't even remember, I tell her that her soul is inside of her, the things in her heart, the things she feels, blah, blah, blah. As I go on and on, I hear a sniffle or two from Roo. Then she starts crying. "I don't want my heart to go to heaven - I want it to stay here with me!!!"

What am I thinking!! This is way too deep for a 3 year old. I don't even know what I am saying anymore. I might as well tell her where babies come from at this point.

"Hey Roo, I forgot, you DO get to take your clothes to heaven with you." The crying stops and we head to the park to play.

Comments:
Tell her that she can bring the clothes Peanut is borrowing, too. I promise to give them back in plenty of time for her "children" to use and for her to pack them in her suitcases bound for Heaven. :)
 
I'm going to dress so well when I get to heaven!

I was baptised when I was two years old. To explain it to me my mother told me that it was so I could go to heaven. I started crying because I didn't want to go to heaven. On earth with my mommy was just fine.
 
I see heaven as a very bucolic place. Rolling fields of green, blue skies, 72 degrees, no wind, no sand traps and tee times available every morning at 9 AM.
 
You can pick your size when you get to heaven right? I just want to make sure I can leave my fat pants on earth.
 
Yeah - I got KJ to comment!!! Thank YOU!

MM - I also plan to dress well in heaven. I will be very trendy and cute - something I can't seem to accomplish here on earth!
 
I'm not one to talk to...however heaven was explained to me when I was little didn't work either...I remember freaking out and screaming my head off. I think I have a better grasp now. Put her in Sunday school and let them do the talking.
 
I consider it a good sign that she wants to stay here with her mommy and daddy who she loves rather than go naked to see someone she doesn't really know yet.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?