Tuesday, June 13, 2006

 

Pea Knuckle!


Four warning signs that I am aging quickly:

1. We played cards with some friends the other day - Pinochle. As you can tell from the title, I didn't know how to spell Pinochle when I looked up the directions to the game on Google. Fortunately, the guys at Google anticipated people like me to enter "Pea Knuckle" and helped lead me in to the correct site. We absolutely had a ball playing with our friends. The girls won and we all are looking forward to a rematch. -I really enjoy playing cards. Big J and I started playing cards early on in our relationship. We'd play 'Spades' around the kitchen table with my parents. 'Wist' with his parents. 'Cribbage' on plane rides and Friday nights. Friends have taught us Canasta, Reds, Hearts, and many other card games. We love it.

2. Big J and I also enjoy our mornings together. We find ourselves going to bed right after the kids and waking up early to see the sun rise, get the paper, and drink our coffee. We haven't seen Leno in years. We rarely catch the 10:00 news.

3. This weekend, we headed North to some friend's cabin. While there, I discovered that I enjoy playing Scrabble. I was addicted to the game! I am going to be searching garage sales this week until I find a Scrabble dictionary. I need to find more words that start with Q.

4. I have a guilty pleasure that I rarely get to enjoy - Family Feud. It is on during the day when I don't usually watch TV, but I love to watch it if I can. Especially the 'Fast Money' part!

Do you hear me? Do I sound old? Seriously - PLAYING CARDS, GOING TO BED EARLY, SCRABBLE, GAME SHOWS? What's next BINGO? SHUFFLE BOARD? I actually can't wait to play Bridge. Aren't I suppose to be saying things like -"Yeah, BIG J and I went bar hopping last night," or "Did you see that Green Day is in town? We gotta get tickets to that concert!" Did I skip something? I know I have kids, but seriously, I am getting old - fast - and apparently I love it!

I actually think about getting old and I seriously think I will love living in an Independent Seniors Living Building. I guess there are parts of getting old that don't scare me at all. Maybe it is just such a different life than my own and you know how the grass is always greener. . .

Comments:
Allee, Allee, Allee...Green Day? It's saying things like THAT that make you seem old and out-of-touch!

Cards are timeless and shouldn't make you feel old.

I recently sold a house to two 22-year old guys. The previous owners had lived there since 1954 and a had a shuffle board court built into the tiles in the basement. My buyers can't wait to "pimp" out the basement, which of course means covering up the court!
 
I am so old that I can't even think of a cool band. . .
 
I could probably save you some time looking around garage sales this weekend, because I'm pretty sure Scrabble dictionaries have not gone out-of-print just yet and you could probably just order one on Amazon. (Amazon.com is a website that a lot of "young people" use to order some of that crazy rock-and-roll music the kids are listening to nowadays) Maybe I should just spare you the trouble of navigating the Internet (a worldwide, publicly accessible system of interconnected computer networks that transmit data), since I was planning to order a cd (a small disc that stores music, sort of like a record album)from a "hot new band" on Amazon anyway . . .
 
Fine, fine . . . I'll order it from Amazon. Thanks for the tip to keep me young!
 
Hey pea knucklehead, isn't the word "whist?" That's OK, I hear that spelling is one of the first things to go on you old folks.
 
No wonder I was knocked out of the spelling bee in the first round in sixth grade.

Keep it coming. You are all just proving my point.
 
Tutu, Kapuna, and Dad all love Family Feud. Dad goes over there often to watch it with them. If you joined them, it would give you a taste of "active senior" living long before you are ready for it. I guess some people just mature quicker than others.

We played "spades?" I can't even remember the game.
 
If you are old, what does that make me? Ugh...

Mom, spades is like hearts without the queen, and you bid to choose trump. Remember? Maybe your memory is going...
 
Hey, "Mom", glad to see you finally realize that watching Family Feud is the sign of a mature person.

We played Hearts with Allee and Big J. I remember his utter contempt for finishing in second or third place. Either win or go down in flames trying. None of this wimpy runner-up stuff. I think Big J is the only person I know who can out-Josh Josh. (Go for it, when you really don't have a chance and only get 25)
 
Hey, "Mom", glad to see you finally realize that watching Family Feud is the sign of a mature person.

We played Hearts with Allee and Big J. I remember his utter contempt for finishing in second or third place. Either win or go down in flames trying. None of this wimpy runner-up stuff. I think Big J is the only person I know who can out-Josh Josh. (Go for it, when you really don't have a chance and only get 25)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?