Wednesday, May 24, 2006

 

Spidey


Roo got a hair cut the other day. These children's hair places are brillant. They put her in a chair with a TV in front of it. She picks a movie to watch and sits extremely still while they cut her hair. When it is all done, she gets a sucker. Great idea. Roo always picks some Princess/Dora movie and a purple sucker.

As we were getting prepared to leave, a little boy came in for his hair cut. He picked out a movie and the stylist asked his mom if it was okay for him to watch it. The movie was Spiderman - some cartoon version. I have never seen it - mostly because Roo always chooses a 'girly' movie. Anyway, his mom said no to the Spiderman movie and made him pick a different one.

I have no idea what was wrong with the movie and why she objected to it. She must know something I don't know about it. As far as I know, Roo has never heard of Spiderman, or has never had an interest in Spiderman - but that has all changed. Since hearing about the forbidden movie, she is fascinated by Spiderman. She wants a Spiderman birthday cake for her next birthday. I don't think she could even pick Spidey out in a line up, but she loves him. All because the little boy was not allowed to watch it, she has decided Spidey must be something good - and dangerous and therefore, she likes him.

What does this say about my future in raising her? In my previous post, I talked about being a rule follower. If my mom told me not to watch Spiderman, I don't think I would have. But Roo, on the other hand, wants to find out what the big deal is with Spiderman. Being told she can't (or hearing a little boy being told he can't) seems to have made Spidey more interesting to her.

So what do I do? "Hey, Roo, Drugs are no big deal. I don't care if you try them. "

"Let me know what time you are getting home tonight - or not, I won't be waiting up because it is not a big deal."

As long as I stay cool, she'll obey me - right?


Comments:
Well I have to echo your sentiments on the kiddie haircuts. AJ also picks Dora or Diego but a green sucker. As for Spiderman, I anticipate the infatuation will dissipate-possibly wax and wane with the cycles of trimming the bangs. Spidey doesn't seem to hold much attention for AJ. He is more interested in the "itsy bitsy spider" out on the brick patio. Try a real spider video- or "Here's a spider, now here's that spider on drugs. Any questions?"

Oh, and BTW rule follower,I think it was your steel moral fiber that got me the spanking for sneeking to the Rays tramp without permission.

The Middle Nelson
 
We had to have permission to jump on the Ray's tramp? Did you tell your mom that I made you do it? Now that would have been cool!

Thanks for pointing out my rebel days - I feel wild and crazy already!
 
Talk to me in ten years. I might have some tips for you. Visiting hours at the mental hospital (where I'll be a patient at that time) are usually on Sunday afternoons.
 
Not to worry---she's such a L*** and I think you need not give it a thought. Plus, she's a first child.
 
Loon? Lout? Lamb? Love? Liar?

oh, wait . . .okay, I get it.
 
It took me a minute to figure it out too. I was going with LADY at first. Thanks mom for protecting my family name!
 
No, we didn't need permission to jump on the Rays tramp- as long as you could get up on the frame before the dog reached you. BUT we did have to have permission to walk on Breezy Point and without call waiting a busy signal seemed to last an eternity. . .

Nellie
 
Maybe the lady thought it was the wet t-shirt version of Spiderman. I have that one, if Roo wants to watch it. ;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?