Tuesday, May 02, 2006

 

A Passion for Anything

Have you ever had to fill in a survey where they ask you: What are your favorite hobbies?
I always seem to agonize over that one. Or when you meet a new group of people and you are supposed to go around and tell, "one thing you really like to do."

Big J and I agree on one thing. Having a passion is GREAT! Having something you like to do seems to define you. But what am I supposed to do when I don't have that one big passion? Big J has passions - things he likes to talk about all the time. Things he likes to do in his spare time. And it is the same things all the time - wetlands, fishing, boats, hunting - oh yeah, and his family.

I, on the other hand, like lots of things. I like to golf - I joined a league this year. I like playing tennis with a double partner. I like working with kids - especially teaching reading. I like being with friends and family - talking, I LOVE talking! I like riding my bike. I like to help others out. I like reading - I am in a book club. But doing too much of something drives me crazy. I need to change it up! I like new experiences. I'll try just about anything (except for eating). And I usually always enjoy it. I even tried out Fantasy Football this fall.

Does this make me passionate? I don't know. Is passion limited to one activity, or can it be a passion for experiences in general? Do you have a passion? That one thing you really love to do? Or are you like me - passionately searching for that one special passion?

Comments:
I AM just like you in this respect---liking lots of things but not passionate about any of them. I always like to use the rhetorical question: What do you do when you can do whatever you want? For me, it is not always the same: read, spend time on the computer, spend time with friends and family, eat (!), clean drawers and closets (yes, I actually enjoy this!), etc.

This is a question that comes up surprisingly often with the age group I'm part of where retirement looms or has already arrived. What I've decided is that it isn't as important to have a passion for one or two things as much as it IS important to have a passion for life. As long as one, two, or many things engage a person, life is full and wonderful!
 
I'm with you Allee. I have a LOT of things I like to do, but sometimes it is hard to put into words when someone asks. "I like talking to my friends...or rollerblading...I like being on the lake" The last is always followed up with, "Oh, do you have a boat?" No. "Oh, do you waterski?" No. I just like being on the boat!!!

You can imagine what a nerd I feel like when lately, I've said..."I like blogging!" I don't know how well it went over on my date the other night! :)
 
I am really passionate about sleeping. And I just love watching TV...especially c-span.
 
Hey, Anonymous, check out my latest post...
 
Ummm . . . . I am going with: proper carseat installation and rollerball pens. I feel very strongly about both of these things. Really.
 
Cleaning drawers and closets, Mom? I acually have a passion NOT to do those things. Does that count as a passion?
 
I love purging things. I feel so accomplished afterwards!

Passions...Peanut, shopping, cleaning, reading your family's blogs, eating, my family, reading.
 
Not only are my drawers clean but my underdrawers are spotless. I tell you the woman is amazing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?