Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Click


I remember someone telling me before my wedding day to take snapshot pictures in my mind so I could remember the day. She said the day will go by so quickly and before you know it, it will be over. I did take pictures in my mind and still remember them today. Click.

The same has always been said about raising children. "They grow up so quickly." I understand this statement now more than ever. My daughter, Roo, seems to be such a little girl - and she was just a baby yesterday!

We have a funny rule at our house. No growing. I say this to Roo when she seems to be older than I want her to be. Today she zipped up her coat all by herself. She was so proud standing there with her coat all zipped up. Click. Yes, I am happy about it, but she doesn't want me to help anymore. Yeah, I'll get over it, but it was fun being her mom and helping her zip her coat. Trust me, I know there is more out there for me than zipping my daughter's coat. It is just that this small accomplishment ends this small stage - and I just want to cherish it all!

I took a few other snapshot pictures in my mind today. I was feeding Ason his evening bottle in his room. Although he can hold the bottle by himself, I love to hold his evening bottle for him. Click. Something special about that time with him. I had classical music on (making him smarter by the minute I'm sure) and I was sitting in the glider. Roo knows to stay in her room and pick out books for bed until I am done, but tonight she popped her head in and whispered, "Will you help me put on my princess watch when you are done?" She held up her princess watch so I could see it. I nod 'yes.'

A few minutes later she pops her head in again and whispers, "Have you seen my princess watch?"
I whisper back, " Well, you just showed it to me a few minutes ago."
"I can't find it."

I love the fact that she actually thought I might know where it is, even though I had not moved from the glider chair in Ason's room. The best part is that I told her to go look on the floor of her room. She went to look and came back with the watch, "Thanks Mom, I found it on the floor." Click.

She might be zipping her own zippers, but she still needs me!

Comments:
Peanut is getting smarter right now, too! I don't think she'll even have to go to school. I'll just keep on playing CDs and having her watch education DVDs. Gotta love Baby Einstein. Maybe I can use my tax money for Baby Einstein - a new kind of charter school.
 
Taking mental pictures is a great way to preserve memories. However, unfortunately for me, quite often I didn't have film in the camera. Or, as I get older, I've discovered that the film has expired.
 
Keep on taking the real pictures too, Al. Memories are so fickle.

I hope Roo will always need her mother one way or another. I know I still need mine.
 
Yeah, Al...I know we hate to admit it, but we do always need our mom. She might pretend she doesn't, but she always will.
 
Mommies are amazing. They know everything. Happy Mother's Day!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?